Re: Chrome/chromium constantly exhausting file handlers/ulim…

Author: Michael Butash
To: Kevin Fries, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Chrome/chromium constantly exhausting file handlers/ulimits
On 04/15/2015 12:48 PM, Kevin Fries wrote:

> I have seen both Chrome and Chromium go ape s#&$ on my system. While
> it does happen very occasionally on other systems, my old netbook that
> only runs 32bit is damn near unusable with either browser... I have
> had to resort to xombrero.
>
> And yes, Google does EVERYTHING in Linux. They use Ubuntu as the
> corporate standard in house.

I've heard as much, but their products continue to be highly unstable
under linux, so I somewhat doubt this. It's been shite for me since
early 30's of releases, and just gets worse now.

> But sometimes I think they suffer from the same problem as Sun used
> to... they are so used to nearly inexhaustible pockets, they forget
> that sometimes people have old, small machines.

This is 4000k proc, 32gb of ddr3, and ssd's - nothing slouch about this
system, and yet some software, like chrom* makes this thing behave like
windoze me at times, like just about any flipping compositor. Big or
little, their software is proving, microsoft-like, and disturbing it can
make linux freak out still this bad.

Case in point, vmware refuses to launch their view client for work
stuff, I can't even launch firefox to avoid chrome stupidity now until I
kill every google process and/or restart to flush everything. Here I
am rebooting to make it sane again for the moment. :\

Sadly I find using mozilla isn't fully sufficient for as much
integration around various google-app integrated things I rely on now,
I'm starting to feel that same m$-ish lock-in. Sub-par software
handling of most of my workflow under linux that perhaps I need to
rethink dependence on them and chrome as an application server.

> Kevin

Thanks for the comments!