Re: OT Cable Modem Woes

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT Cable Modem Woes

I doubt you have a modem failure.  I've
      never had a modem fail, and very few do - rather they are usually
      replaced because 1) someone missed a level issue somewhere, 2)
      they were blew out with lightning, or 3) you wanted a docsis 3.x
      modem for better speed.

      You probably have some coax teetering on the verge of being crap
      somewhere, like a central conductor sucking out, and just barely
      left conducting.  Hot in the day, cold at night, think about what
      that does to metals, ie expansion/contraction, work hardening
      metals.  Some just snap in the insulation.  AZ is rough on coax
      with extreme heat as east-coast extreme cold is.

      I still say you have a bad connection between the modem and your
      ped (outside).  Take the modem and a laptop to your external box
      if you can, remove any splitters direct to the line, power it, and
      check your levels on the internal page there.  If they don't
      improve, the issue is from the ped to your house, not inside.  Or
      call cox and have them check your levels as you do, you might need
      "advanced" support to do that as the first-level folk are barely
      sentient these days to speak full sentences.

      Last time was the aforementioned missing/undocumented splice in my
      coax outside at the neighbor house became an issue, cox told me to
      replace my modem after checking at my house by a contractor.
      Begrudgingly I did, got a new docsis3.0 at the time, and same
      shite, random drops and 30% packetloss after an hour.  That's when
      I got an escalation, and a cox field tech supe came to my house
      ready to tell them to start trenching my street to replace it (my
      ped is across the street, yay).  He checked at the outside, and
      found levels to be terrible still, and literally had to dig up my
      yard and my neighbor's to find the missing joint.  Replaced the
      ends, new joint connector, and my connection was rock solid again.

      Anything spotty like that is a physical issue in coax, I will put
      money on it.  Been dealing with cable modems since working at
      @Home in 90's.

      Getting a 3.0 modem has advantages too - the 2.0 channel space was
      legacy from old analog days, working around old crap and left to
      die, and the 3.0 channel space is net-new, though any new modems
      are such and use that these days.  Newer 3.1 units use the 24/8
      downstream/upstream channels for better throughput (newer tech
      uses channel bonding to span physical links for more bandwidth),
      which is being deployed to give gig-capability, downstream at
      least (max upstream is ~245mbit/s).

      -mb