Re: public/private keys.... what are they?

Author: Ed
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: public/private keys.... what are they?
Michael, there are two numbers that are keyed to each other. If you
use one to encrypt, the other will decrypt and visa-versa.

The practice is to keep one private and very safe and publish the
other publicly. This way if you encrypt a posting with your private
key, the recipient can decrypt it with your public key - and know it
was from you.
Or your friend can encrypt a secret message with your public key and
only you can decrypt it with your private key

It isn't like a key to a lock, more like a keyed plug can only be
inserted the proper way into it's socket. the key is the fit, not the
secret.