Re: lshw -short

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: lshw -short
I found the answer!

there is a phrase in the lshw manpage that says -short is "very much like
the output of HP-UX's ioscan.'

A websearch for 'HP-UX's ioscan' brings up it's man page which states:

*hw path* A numerical string of hardware components, notated
sequentially from the bus address to the device
address. Typically, the initial number is
appended by slash (*/*), to represent a bus
converter (if required by your machine), and
subsequent numbers are separated by periods (*.*).
Each number represents the location of a hardware
component on the path to the device.

Could someone explain to me what 'the location of a hardware component'
means?