Partition Question

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen M
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Partition Question
Hi All,

I need to reinstall a new OS on my laptop because Mint 17.1 keeps having
trouble downloading packages sometimes. Mostly it says that 'a template
for "rebecca" could not be found.' So the release is just having growing
pains.

Onto my question though, I want to install something else but want to know
about partitioning my drive. I have not gotten into LVMs so I need to read
up on those before trying. I know that it depends but I would like some
options. I have a 250 GB drive, I am wanting to make a separate /, home,
var, tmp, and usr directories. I am looking for a possible percentage of
whats best works for a home computer more or less.

If someone doesn't mind giving me an insight that would be helpful.
Usually I have done 5-10GB for / and 2GB for swap and the rest for home. I
want to see what others have tried in the past that has worked for them.

Thank you in advance.

--
Stephen Melheim
602-400-7707