Re: Server Performance Comparison

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Server Performance Comparison
On 2015-01-24 21:58, James Dugger wrote:
> I have seen it take days of extra time for a RHEL based web server
> environment to get provisioned ore re-provisioned, tested, and
> implemented, when there was a pre-built provisioned instance of
> Ubuntu that could have been tweaked tested and implemented in hours.

This sounds like a failure of sysadminning. It's fairly easy to
generate a kickstart (automated installation) file for RHEL/CentOS,
which can install all the ordinary packages from the standard
RHEL/CentOS repos. The kickstart file can also run an arbitrary shell
script after all the packages are installed, which'd get additional
repos and the packages in them and so forth. I did this for the last
round of physical server installs; we could get a physical machine from
"has no OS" to "running all the stuff" fairly quickly.

Or was this more like "we didn't think about anything but Ubuntu until
the last minute"?

> Why would you want a GUI on your server anyway?

Some things that can be useful (imagemagick, for one) can have
dependencies on X11 libraries. Some things like LibreOffice require a
running X server but can also be used to do things like convert PDFs to
MSWord in an automated fashion. (The guy I was talking to who needed to
do that used Xvfb to fake an X server....)

> Corporate IT based provisioned or pre-provisioned snapshots are the
> standard.

...and if you want to do something that they haven't thought of, then
the Dire Slug Of Bureaucracy rears its shambling face-analogue and eats
all your free time...

> In other words the cost in human capital to provision a
> web server becomes the decision factor

Did you mean "human labor"? Installing junk on a server feels a lot
more like labor than capital to me if you go by economic terms.
(Buzzwords don't tend to respect things like dictionaries or previous
word usages though.)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity