Re: Not Debian/Ubuntu Desktop

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Not Debian/Ubuntu Desktop
On 2015-01-12 21:49, trent shipley wrote:
> I tried CentOS as a guest Windows 8.1 using VMWare Player, but had
> some problems with it. Mostly I couldn't figure out what packages were
> available.

"yum search $KEYWORD" is a very useful command in all Redhat-derived
distros. ("emerge --search $KEYWORD" in Gentoo, "apt-cache search
$KEYWORD" in Debianish IIRC.)

> CentOS seemed to have fewer rpms than other distributions.

The repository lists in /etc/yum.repos.d/ don't have all of the repos
turned on by default. Only "base", "updates", and possibly "extras" are
enabled. If you edit the files, you can set enabled=1 for "centosplus",
"contrib", and "fasttrack", which will get you a bunch of other
packages. Many projects like MongoDB have their own CentOS
repositories, and their websites will provide .repo files that you can
put on your own system in case you'd like to get the latest stuff
directly.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity