Re: Not Debian/Ubuntu Desktop

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Not Debian/Ubuntu Desktop
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, trent shipley
> <> wrote:
>> What is a good, simple desktop oriented distro not derived from
>> Debian or Ubuntu? GnuCOBOL currently has a significant bug on Ubuntu
>> 14. (No. Red Hat and SUSE are not desktop oriented distros.)

What, precisely, do you mean by "desktop oriented distro"? I wouldn't
recommend SuSE for anything or anyone (it's too buggy), but CentOS 6
with KDE has worked fine for me on a Dell box as a workstation-ish thing
at work. (I have been using Linux for a long time, though, so YMMV on
this.)

At home, I use Gentoo, because there's no systemd requirement and
upgrading is incremental instead of "guaranteed downtime while you
reinstall the whole darn OS every couple of years." Gentoo may not fit
your criteria of "desktop oriented" though.

On 2015-01-05 20:04, Stephen Partington wrote:
> you could try the fedora "desktop" release

Fedora is not a stable thing. As such, I wouldn't recommend it if
you're going to be writing code. The *last* thing you want when writing
code is a system that's b0rked because update 2345 ate libxml2.so.2.9.2,
which means most of your GUI desktop applications no longer work....

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity