Re: How to change command line prompt?

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to change command line prompt?

On 2015-01-02 18:31, Keith Smith wrote:
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-linux-unix-bash-shell-setup-prompt.html

To expand on what others have written, that's:

export PS1='\u:>'

in your ~/.bashrc . This is *not* optimal though. It'd be far more
useful to do something like

export PS1='\h:\w\$ '

...since you usually know who you are, but you might not know which
machine you're logged in to, and having the full path to the dir you're
in is almost always useful if you have more than one dir that's named
the same thing.

>> Also, I'd like to be able to turn the touchpad off and on
>> but the only suggested method I have found to do this
>> does not work for me: synclient TouchpadOff=1

Hm. This works fine for me, but I'm using Gentoo, and other distros
may do different things with the X modules for various input devices.
For synclient to work, IIRC, the X server has to load the synaptics
module, and the synaptics module has to claim the touchpad device.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity