Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
i like the Ubuntu release cycle a great deal. they have a long term support
release, and then incremental releases on a stability and then feature
swing each year. this to me is a great model.

The parts i did not like about red hat, even as a server, i spent more time
compiling applications than anything else and fiddling them all into place.
while educational its REALLY nice to have repositories that do this for
you. and yes there are a number of bundled repositories you can bolt on to
redhat/centos, but they never quire gave me the breadth of access i ever
needed so i was back to building applications i wanted to use. in the end
what i wanted to do was just easier with debian, then ubuntu came up with a
much more modern installer and that was where i really became comfortable.
easy to use, and able to recognize 95% of all the hardware i have ever
thrown at it. and to top it off some of the easiest and complete chunks of
documentation and support.

I guess what i am saying this is likely a similar path that allot of people
have taken, and this is giving ubuntu its real market share.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM, James Dugger <>
wrote:

> "Would be interesting to know why the migration."
>
> Others may disagree but (IMHO) RH's business model; i.e. long term support
> agreement, methods of patching and updating their repos and by extension
> all Distros that copy or rely in their model (CentOS) where not designed
> for "The Cloud" where VM instances are spun up or and destroyed minute by
> minute.
>
> To be sure RH and others have moved to try and better position their
> products for this environment but this is one time when Canonical got their
> first, with a build and lifecycle that better fits the environment.
>
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Keith Smith <>
> wrote:
>

>> Would be interesting to know why the migration.
>>
>> On 2014-12-23 20:32, James Dugger wrote:
>>
>>> http://w3techs.com/blog/entry/debian_ubuntu_extend_the_
>>> dominance_in_the_linux_web_server_market_at_the_expense_
>>> of_red_hat_centos
>>> [2].
>>>
>>> Here is the reference.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Nathan England <>
>>> wrote:

>>> --
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>>> LINKEDIN [3]
>>>

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [2]
>>> http://w3techs.com/blog/entry/debian_ubuntu_extend_the_
>>> dominance_in_the_linux_web_server_market_at_the_expense_
>>> of_red_hat_centos
>>> [3] http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/

>> --
>> Keith Smith