Re: dban

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: dban

I really don't think anything messed
      with the bios, they usually require some kind of specific driver
      or method to chat with the bios, usually relying on the vendor to
      create a linux binary, or at the bios level, to update the
      firmware.  I wish I could automagically update the bios, it's
      usually a pain.

      You might consider booting the drive on a usb to sata adapter on a
      working system, or whatever format the disk is, to see if another
      os sees it even inserted.  Usually you'll get some sort of dmesg
      spew about this and that as it inserts and probes the hardware.
      If linux/grub doesn't see it  at all, it's usually damaged.  Worst
      case you'll usually get /dev/sd[a|b|c] inserted message, which is
      linux understanding how to probe the hardware, and subsequent
      enumeration of your partitions if possible as /dev/sdX[1|2|3] as
      the partition.  A live cd should see some form of /dev/sdX drive
      aside from the usb.

      If you see /dev/sdX without the number, and some grumbling about
      missing partitions, likely it wiped your data enough wipe from
      sector 0 at least as you let it run.

      I'm thinking it isn't seeing your partition/mbr, etc, but probably
      sees /dev/sdX without at least /dev/sdX1 meaning you wiped your
      data.

      Does the bios see it on the sata bus?  If so, the disk should be
      OK as long as you can rewrite the partition or access it without
      ata failures.

      Only other thing is maybe a bug in the kernel not seeing a legacy
      adapter or something buggin' it out.  Maybe a different distro
      with an older kernel?  I have booted a newer kernel that didn't
      see old devices before for whatever malfeasance there was (usually
      stupid video card/driver issues tho, never a disk).

      I did have crappy disk firmware update utility from linux nuke my
      Adata ssd with an upgrade binary to fix the disk from linux that
      was here today, gone tomorrow once invoked on my drive.  Their
      crack(head) tech support promply ignored me too, but again,
      requires some sort of binary interaction that is far from default
      on a disk utility to automagically update bios or firmware to a
      disk or mobo.  Dmesg just would give ugly kernel messages of sata
      timeouts beyond that -  to the garbage pile and blacklist of
      vendors to buy disks from.

      I just lost another ssd, apparently an equally crappy Crucial m100
      disk after 2 months that gave out showing me no partitions and ata
      timeouts, so maybe bad luck of it just giving out on a cleansing?
      Every disk seems to die in different ways, especially with the
      advent of ssd's.

      -mb