Re: email server

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: email server
On 2014-12-14 18:59, Keith Smith wrote:
> I want to move onto configuring a mail server. I was thinking of
> Postfix + Dovecot + Spamassassin + MySql. add a self-signed SSL cert)
> Let me see if I understand things. If I just wanted to do SMTP and
> POP I can use just Postfix by itself.

postfix doesn't do POP3, just SMTP. If you need POP3, you would
install qpopper or another POP3-providing thing.

> To add IMAP to the mix I need Dovecot. Spamassassin handles spam.
> MySql is not necessary but can be used instead of flat files for
> virtual hosts.

dovecot or courier-imap for IMAP. I use courier-imap, but dovecot is
quite similar. You can use mysql for storing the mail users and their
passwords. If you have lots of users who don't have shell accounts and
need to change those users' info frequently, then using mysql makes
sense. Otherwise, using standard Unix usernames/passwords is a bit
easier.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity