gscan2pdf "Error opening device: Invalid argument"

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: PLUG
Subject: gscan2pdf "Error opening device: Invalid argument"
I got a problem: after I open gscan2pdf an info window appears saying:

Save as DjVu requires djvulibre-bin
unpaper missing
OCR requires gocr, tesseract, ocropus, or cuneiform

after I close that window the little progress bar then runs back and forth
as it is "opening device". Then an info window appears saying, :

"Error opening device: Invalid argument"

It was working. It was doing this with gscan2pdf version 1.2.3 (the apt
version) so I updated it to version 1.2.6 but it was still doing it. I
googled 'gscan2pdf "Error opening device: Invalid argument"' but their were
only 4 results. The only one of which might have helped said to:

   rm  ~/user/.gscan2pdf
   rm: cannot remove ‘/home/bmike1/user/.gscan2pdf’: No such file or
      directory

I then ran apt-get for the programs it said were missing and now only the
"Error opening device: Invalid argument" info window appears.

Any ideas as to how to resolve this?