Re: [OT] Java question

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [OT] Java question
As Mark points out, the official home for the Open Source (GPL) JDK project is openjdk.net
There are several sources (which can make things confusing) for different parts of the Java ecosystem, however.
The JVM is separate from the SE standard library, which is separate from the additional packages (often javax.*, but sometimes in other packages) often referred to as "standard extensions".
Java Enterprise Edition sources are even more complicated as the official SDK is just interfaces, the implementation is whatever EE server (open or proprietary) you select. The Reference is Tomcat and Glassfish. Both Geronimo and JBoss are fine open source implementations that show other ways of implementing the specifications and have their own ecosystems of additional services.

The Standard Library (SE) source code is generally available on (Linux) installs of OpenJDK (after installing the openjdk-$VERSION-source package on debian derivatives) in src.jar or src.zip in the JDK installation lib directory
The "canonical" source is always in the mercurial repo on openjdk.net, but the repo organization is pretty terrible, so it's often easier to find things in the src.[jar|zip] file if you're trying to explore the SE standard library.

Hopefully that answers your question.