liksys WRT54G

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: PLUG
Subject: liksys WRT54G
That is the router I have. On the back there are 4 LAN ports and another
port labled Internet. My setup had the cable from the modem feeding into
that port and everything worked until a couple of days ago. Today I
switched that cable to a LAN port and everything worked again. I asked in
another thread the purpose of the internet port and MR Butash gave me an
answer but it is still a lot hazy. In my research to answer the question
myself I found a wikipedia article that states:

The original *WRT54G* was first released in December 2002. It has a 4+1
port network switch <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch> (the
Internet/WAN port is part of the same internal network switch, but on a
different VLAN <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN>).

My questions: What is that port for if not to be an input port for the
internet
and
Why was it working as an input port for the internet and why did it stop
working as such?