Re: pushd/popd

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: pushd/popd
pushd and popd are stack-oriented. You may notice with cd that you can do
"cd -" to go to your previous directory. Think of pushd and popd as a way
to store those up. You pushd into various directories, which loads them up
on the stack, then popd and you get cd'd back into those directories (in
reverse order).

Now, you may be asking yourself "why?". It's just an old way of doing
things back when the speed of stack memory meant something. I'm sure
someone could figure out an actual use for it, but every time I see it
implemented, it's done to be obscure, not because it couldn't be more
simply implemented with an array.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Michael Havens <> wrote:

> what is the difference between pushd and pod and the command cd

James McPhee