Re: Having fun with KVM

Author: techlists@phpcoderusa.com
To: michael, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Having fun with KVM
On 2014-09-26 07:59, Michael Butash wrote:
> It wants *secure* efi booting likely, not sure windoze8 will boot
> without it in that capacity. I think not, but I've only ran it long
> enough to update the bios and wipe my laptop. Wouldn't surprise me if
> they key the "backup" to your laptop's efi data the trust is built on.
>
> I'd thought about doing this, as my laptop came with win8 pro, having
> to pay the dell micro$oft tax, figured it'd be worth restoring to a vm
> as at least a more modern visio hypervisor than xp. Then I looked up
> their licensing, and found it wouldn't really allow me to port it over
> as an oem version, which just reignited the vitriol toward them and
> their useless nature I still end up paying for. Thanks Dell.
>
> You're likely technically in the same boat, not sure they'd support
> you either. If you really need windoze, you get to pay again - yay!
>
> -mb
>

> On 09/25/2014 06:55 PM, Richard Wilson wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I recently got a new system that came with Win8.1 installed, which I
>> saved following Microsoft's instructions to a 16GB recovery USB key
>> and then I overwrote the system with Fedora 20.
>>
>> Just for grins, I've been trying to create a KVM from the USB key but
>> the Virtual Machine Manager doesn't like what it finds and is
>> complaining that it's not bootable. I do not want to risk booting off
>> the key natively, but was wondering if anyone can point me in the
>> right direction.

Are you saying the license will not allow you to run the win that came
with your laptop in a VM?

I bought a Dell laptop about 2 months ago and it came with Win7. I'd
like to put win7 in a VM since the laptop is now running Mint 17 KDE. I
need windows for IE for testing and one application that runs on windows
only.