Re: Installation frustrations

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installation frustrations
1) I routinely remove desktop search services from new installs; it's as simple as yum erase, and I find the search service utterly useless.
2) All of the desktop-focused distros include search services by default because it's what Microsoft and Apple include, so the non-technical user just assumes it's there and becomes frustrated when it's not available.
3) It's a simple preferences change to change the virtual desktop count, On my work machine (Fedora 20) I can do this with a right-click on the virtual desktop widget in the panel (KDE).

I use Fedora at work and it would play videos fine except I deliberately broke videos and audio as it's not supposed to be used for those things (it's for writing software and managing systems remotely), and I prefer to not have ads screaming in my ears from websites.

At home I have a few different flavors of Mint. I find Mint Debian Edition to work very well with a minimum of frustration, but it's not quite as polished as the Mint flavors based off of Ubuntu.