Re: OT - Open Source Business Intelligence Software

+ (text/html)
Author: Paul Mooring
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT - Open Source Business Intelligence Software
R definitely is the standard currently, but I would add Julia to the list
of notable languages for data science. Also while it's much less popular,
I've played with Incanter (a statistics/data science library for clojure) a
bit and found it delightful. My experience with Incanter does come with
the disclaimer that I've never needed to work with "big data", no need for
hadoop/map reduce and also I like lisps a good bit and that probably colors
how anyone would feel about working with clojure vs working with R.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM, trent shipley <>
wrote:

> In open source the basic statistical tool pretty much seems to be R.
> I get the impression that it works well, though not as well as SPSS,
> and not nearly as well as SAS.
>
> The database varies with what kind of data science/data analysis/data
> mining you want to do. What kind of data do you intend to collect?
> What do you want to do with the data? How big is the data? Is it
> relational? Is it organized in some sense? Is XML or text based? Is it
> on a transactional production database? Does the database have to
> approach ACID compliance?
>
> Or do you just want a laundry list of open source databases, their
> associated tools, and possible open source analysis tools?
>
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM, John J. Macey <> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > A bit of a background here. I was out in AZ, a much senior student @ ASU,
> > and a 2 time visitor at the PLUG. Because of family circumstances, I had
> > return to New Jersey to attend to an elderly Mother.
> >
> > I work as a consultant in the Biotech / Life Science / Medical Device
> field.
> > The general background is here.
> >
> > I deal with projects, that now involve gathering / scrapping / data
> mining /
> > gathering business intelligence. Basically, this is global, and I'd
> thought
> > I'd ask here in the PLUG. The data mining is not in regard to an
> enterprise,
> > or a vast supply of stored data. I've looked into creating APIs, Google+,
> > etc., etc. So, I am not throwing this question out there lightly.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with any of the open source business
> > intelligence tools? Funny thing is, I had found something simple about 20
> > years ago. Things have changed. LOL!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any responses.
> > --
> >
> > John