Re: flat screens ;-)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: flat screens ;-)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carruth, Rusty <>
Date: Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Subject: flat screens ;-)

Due to a bug in our IT department, my email address no longer works with
Plug, so I cannot reply until I re-subscribe with my new email address…
So, I’m replying directly to you. Feel free to re-post this to the PLUG
list if you want.

So, lets start at the top.

First, if you plug a monitor in to a running machine, the machine may or
may not notice the change and change its output resolution to match the max
available on the monitor. If the current output mode is beyond the
capabilities of the monitor, SOME monitors will say ‘no signal’ while
others will say something about ‘signal out of range’ (or frequency out of
range, or something).

My guess is that this is what is happening. If you can boot up with the
flat monitor connected and see that, as it boots, you have output on the
monitor then the first stage of debug is complete – the monitor works at
‘normal low text mode’ resolution. (This is the POST stuff someone was
talking about). If you see nothing here then there is something deeper
wrong than resolution issues, stop and seek professional help ;-)
Otherwise:

Once the computer has booted, my guess is that one of two things will
happen. Either the monitor will ‘tell’ the computer its max mode and the
computer will adjust, or it won’t. If it does, then you should see the
login screen once your computer boots. (And you are done, assuming the
monitor resolution is high enough for you J)

If it doesn’t, and you are running Linux, you can try hitting
‘control-alt-<minus>’ using the left control and alt keys, and the – on the
keypad. That is supposed to lower the output resolution.

If still nothing, hit ‘control-alt-F1’ to switch to the console mode on
console 1 and see if you see text (there should be a login prompt near the
top). If so, then you may have to do some sort of ‘x reconfigure’ (which I
think depends upon your distribution the exact command. I think I did
something like dpkg –reconfigure X to force the X window system to figure
out my monitor). If not, then again you may need ‘professional help’….

Rusty

---

Thanks Rusty
I get nothing. I guess I need professional help (psychiatrist?). After
googling I found
http://blog.siliconforks.com/2010/05/07/monitor-out-of-range-installing-ubuntu-lucid-lynx/
but I don't even get the boot screen! I get nothing. The power button goes
from green to orange and the screen goes dark.