Re: make

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: make
the > will delete any file that it points at even if the command doesn't
actually output anything. It will even delete the file is the command
doesn't exist like if you type grep as gerp >file, file will still be
created/overwritten.

If you want to make sure that your command doesn't overwrite any
existing files you have to set the noclobber option like:
$ set -o noclobber

A good trick to know:
You can use the > to delete the contents of a file without having to
delete and recreate the file by simply doing this:
$ >yourfile

Brian Cluff