Mint 17

Author: techlists@phpcoderusa.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Mint 17
Good Morning!

I've been running Kubuntu on my desktop computer for about 8 months. It
seems to do the job. This is the 3rd time I have tried to escape M$.
First in 2000, then again in 2007. This time it looks like I might be
able to do so.

Last night I installed Mint 17 KDE on my laptop. I was amazed. I was
only able to spend 15 or 20 minute with it, however it was a much better
experience than Kubuntu. I'm not sure why, however my Laptop running an
i3 seems to be faster than my desktop running an i5. I wonder if it is
the OS alone that makes the difference. Mint is a much smaller
download. Maybe it is optimized in some way.

I hope to add a modern.ie in a VM and configure my laptop to do LAMP dev
using the localhost. I will probably install a second VM for CentOS 5.x
and a third for CentOS 7.x for testing.

If this works out, which I'm sure it will, I'll be moving my desktop to
Mint as well.

I think Linux is finally ready for the mainstream desktop world.

This is exciting!!
Keith