Re: OT: Windows guru needed (personal)

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Windows guru needed (personal)

The files themselves are fine, it's
      the file structure that's scrambled. For example,
multiple
    (partial) pictures files scattered throughout her file structure.

Michael Havens wrote:

surprised she didn't get a ransom letter wit that.
        sorry that happened.

:-)~MIKE~(-:

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Mark
          Jarvis
<>
          wrote:

My wife is running Win 7
                on a Dell box. Sometime over the last couple of days the
                contents of her HD were scrambled. Scores of
pictured
              and documents are scattered throughout the recycle bin and
              in dozens of spots throughout her file system.
It looks like her file
                structure was hit with a randomizer. At this time there
                is no telling how much was lost. (With that much damage,
                I can't believe that it's all there.)

                Finding and putting things back in a reasonable order is
                going to to be a major job. She would like to know:

                1) what caused it

                2) once she collects things, what can be done to prevent
                it from happening again.

                Answers will require the help of someone who knows a lot
                more about Windows than I do.

                Any help, suggestions, or name recommendations, either
                on or off list, will be gratefully accepted.

                    Mark Jarvis