linux from scratch

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: PLUG
Subject: linux from scratch
hello plug. well you helped me get ssh to work across networks so that now
I can build an LFS OS on another computer as opposed to on another
partition or onto a virtual machine. I installed Debian as the host OS to
build LFS on. All is well except it falls asleep after five minutes and I
can't compile things if it is going to fall asleep in the middle of the
build. So I googled for a solution and found:

---
In the */etc/default/grub*, modify the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to look
like this:

$ GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=acpi=off apm=off

---
Well that is good except on the debian system it reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

I think the 'quiet' merely tells it not to print any boot text so I can
just delete it but I am unsure. However, if I want to keep it quiet would I
make it like so:
$ GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" acpi=off apm=off