Re: url code

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: url code
On 2014-05-09 13:19, Michael Havens wrote:
> [I'm using] gmail [and I want to know how to insert a link that
> doesn't look like http://example.com/ into an HTML-formatted message]

You have to be using "rich text" mode.[0] In the gmail composer's menu
(to the right of the "send" button), there'll be an icon that looks like
a link. Click that icon (or press Ctrl-K) and you'll get a dialog box.
In the "text to display" part, put the text you'd like to have
displayed, like "a hamster wearing a football helmet". In the "web
address" part, put a link like
http://crow202.org/2010/hamster_football.jpg . Push the "OK" button.
You now have a link in your HTML-formatted mail. The message source
will contain <a href="http://crow202.org/2010/hamster_football.jpg"
target="_blank">a hamster wearing a football helmet</a> . [1]

This is supposed to be an intuitive interface. Go figure.

[0] This is usually used to spam horrible fonts, colors, background
images, and useless junk, but I guess it can be used to do useful
things.
[1] Experienced folks never, ever just follow a link without checking
where it goes first to make sure it's not link to a RickRoll or
goatse.cx . DO NOT SEARCH FOR goatse.cx EVER.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity