Re: InnoDB ( was: blank subject )

Author: der.hans
To: keith smith, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: InnoDB ( was: blank subject )
Am 08. Apr, 2014 schwätzte keith smith so:

moin moin Keith,

the short answer is: move to InnoDB :)

InnoDB is much improved in 5.5, but it's fine in 5.1. If you're not
beating the heck out of the DB, then you're fine. If you are beating the
heck out of it, please bring in a DBA to help you out :).

You'll probably need to change how you're doing backups.

Does CentOS already have MariaDB? If so, move to that.

RHEL is moving to MariaDB, so CentOS is as well. I just don't know which
release first had MariaDB or in which release MariaDB becomes the default.

BTW, don't convert the internal mysql database to InnoDB, just your
application schemas.

ciao,

der.hans

> I have a MySql database that is about 10 years old.  The tables are using the MyISAM data engine.   I see the default as of version 5.5.5 is now InnoDB.  The server is running a stock version of CentOS 6.4 with MySql 5.1.69.  We stay with the standard CentOS upgrade and do not update Apache, MySql, or PHP to other versions.
>
> As I look around it seems the InnoDB data engine is such a better deal.  I'm thinking it might take several years, maybe longer, to see MySql 5.5.5 in the standard CentOS install.
>

> In the mean time I am thinking that a switch to InnoDB might be the way to go especially since we are about to make some major modifications to the app that uses this database.
>

> I have not read anything about any problems in using InnoDB with MySql version prior to 5.5.5.
>
> Is there anything I should be aware of or any potential problems in using InnoDB with MySql versions prior to 5.5.5?
>
> Thank you very much for all your help and insight!!
>
> Keith

#  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was replaced
#  by a bobblehead doll!" -- Randy Glasbergen, 13Mar2006