Re:

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re:
On 2014-04-08 09:44, keith smith wrote:
> I have a MySql database that is about 10 years old. The tables are
> using the MyISAM data engine. As I look around it seems the
> InnoDB data engine is such a better deal. I am thinking that a
> switch to InnoDB might be the way to go

If you're using fulltext search in any of your columns, you'll probably
have to find another way of doing that, like sphinx. You can't really
do fulltext search with InnoDB. If you're not doing fulltext search,
then the row-level locking that InnoDB provides makes inserts and
updates a lot faster.

> Is there anything I should be aware of or any potential problems in
> using InnoDB with MySql versions prior to 5.5.5?

I've used a bunch of InnoDB tables on a bunch of mysql DBs going back
to 5.0.51, and never had any problems with InnoDB in and of itself.
(Disks dying, clusters split-braining, running out of disk space, people
doing DROP DATABASE on production data, and so forth caused far more
pain than anything InnoDB.) The main thing I'd worry about is that it
can take hours to convert huge tables from MyISAM to InnoDB if your
machine's got any sort of CPU or I/O bottleneck, and while that
conversion's going on, the table's unusable. If you can schedule enough
downtime, you'll probably be just fine.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity