Re: I'm building linux from scratch in a virtual machine

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: I'm building linux from scratch in a virtual machine

Stephen Partington wrote:
> If the permissions are set the command is not even visible.

ifconfig and ip are usually in /sbin . /sbin is not in the PATH for
normal users, so attempting to run ip or ifconfig as a normal user will
fail. /sbin is in root's PATH. Normal users can always add /sbin to
their PATH or call the commands with the full path-- /sbin/ifconfig
should always work. I almost always have

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:$HOME/bin

in my .bashrc so I don't have to type as much for various things.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity