Re: What is kded?

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What is kded?
You can try running the command:

xset -dpms

make sure to turn it back on after you are done watching your movie with:

xset +dpms

You can check the status of dpms with:

xset -q

DPMS being turned off will keep the system from turning off the monitor
after a period of time, but it won't keep a screen saver from coming on.

You can also change the time limits before things occur, so you can set
it for longer than 2 hours to keep it from kicking in during movies but
still have it shut off the monitor after a very long period of "no use".

The reason I found this command is that some video players seem to turn
off DPMS but if they crash during play they don't turn it back on so my
monitors were staying on all night.

As a result I created an icon that not only turns DPMS (back) on, it
also tells the system to instantly put the monitors into sleep mode.

Brian Cluff