Re: Suggestion for wireless access point that supports WPA2 …

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Suggestion for wireless access point that supports WPA2 enterprise
What "enterprise"-y features are you looking for - dot1x/eap/radius,
role-derivation/vlan mapping, fast roaming/802.11i/802.11r, or...?

I've seen lil cheapie linksys-ish routers that support radius hooks for
leap/peap-ish function, but not really things like fast-roaming and such
else that usually presume you're doing a LWAP-style deployment for
centralized management and key passing between multiple AP's. Most
standalone ap's there isn't much point to doing much beyond perhaps eap
for dynamic security and per-user credentials.

If you want real enterprise-y features, might look for used Aruba IAP
products on ebay, as they can work standalone, or cluster multiple
without a dedicated controller. Or get a smaller Cisco WLAN controller
like a wlc2006, some ap's, and get your virtual-enterprise on. I have a
cisco 4400 wlc at my house driving 4 ap's, but it's also my "lab" for
wireless features.

Radius/EAP server is another dealio if you want that kind of feature...

End of the day, do you have a good reason for wanting enterprise-y
features? May be able to find something in between out there if you can
give some requirements.

-mb