Re: need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks

Author: Michael Butash
To: George Toft, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks
Looks like you might have overwrote the partition data somehow, or the
disk is failing and not representing the partition data correctly now.
I'm assuming sdb and sdc are the raid disks containing data, where sdc
has the valid and recognizable partition data? Meaning sdc has your
intact data, and sdb is the one missing the data? This is my conclusion
looking at this, meaning you need/want to mangle sdb, not sdc.

One thing you can do I've had success with is rebuilding the data
structure with fdisk (in mbr-based disks, ymmv with gpt), and accessing
the data assuming before/after aligns properly. Otherwise you can try to
use dd in surgery to replicate given block to block data around the
superblocks to recreate the disk structure, but I've read this
theoretically working.

I'd say recreate the sdb partitions, set to type fd for raid, zero the
new block with mdadm, and readd to the array to let mdadm sync the disks:

sudo mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb2
sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md<> -a /dev/sdb2

Caveat emptor on the WD external disks - I've never had one last more
than a year (or any vendor's), and one WD enclosure wouldn't allow my pc
to pass the bios plugged in (moving the disk to another enclosure
worked, then died 6mo later). Vendors always use their worst mtbf disks
in those enclosures... spend a bit extra to get the "red" nas disks if
you must stay with WD as they're somewhat meant to be used with raid.

Hitachi went to hell when WD bought them (lost a 3tb external and a 4tb
internal within a month each), Seagate I won't trust since buying out
Maxtor's garbage (maxtor I've lost 5 of 6 raided disks within 6 months),
and frankly haven't found a vendor that makes a disk that lasts more
than a year anymore. Pretty sure it's by design as a profit center...

-mb