Re: Why did my Linux Mint system crash?

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Why did my Linux Mint system crash?
On 2014-01-14 11:26, wrote:
> I finally rebooted again, and saw a screen full of messages including
> "unable to handle kernel paging request"
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/z1.jpg
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/z2.jpg
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/z3.jpg
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/z4.jpg
>
> What in the world could the problem be and how can I resurrect my
> system?
> (PS: I'm writing this message from my laptop. Tried to ssh login to
> the
> failed system, but no joy.)

An OOPS at 33 seconds and then another OOPS at 52 seconds, both in
kernel code that should be reasonably stable (network drivers followed
by nouveau)? I am not certain, but I think there might be a hardware
problem somewhere in this machine.

You can attempt to diagnose the problem by booting from a rescue
system. If those things fail in a similar manner, it's almost certainly
a hardware problem. (If the rescue system works fine, then your Mint
install is borked, but that seems sort of unlikely.) Or if a rescue
system works fine except when you start up a GUI, it's a problem with
the graphics card. Or if it works fine until you try to start DHCP,
it's a problem with the NIC. The other thing to check is the case and
airflow--make sure there aren't any dust bunnies blocking the fans or
anything. If you suspect the RAM is the problem, the memtest86 option
on many rescue systems will probably say something if you had bad RAM.

The last 2 times I've had things like this happen to desktop systems,
it's been problems with the motherboard. This is annoying because the
motherboard is expensive and a pain to replace.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity