Re: map keys

Author: Derek Trotter
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: map keys

On 11/12/2013 09:14 AM, Matt Graham wrote:
> In most keymaps, they're mapped to one of the modifiers, usually Super
> or Hyper. These modifiers usually don't do much that's useful.
> compiz and its successors often used Super+other key or mouse button
> as a "do interesting 3D window management things" shortcut.
>
> GTK+ deals with these things in a different way from Qt. This is...
> annoying. When you used xmodmap, did you clear the 'Doze key from the
> modifier map before binding it to another key?
>
> xmodmap is also only good for binding single keys to other single keys
> (or to modifiers). What's "xmodmap -pm" show you? With it and xev, I
> can see that the Windows keys are bound to Super_L and Super_R, and
> they execute the modifier mod4.

delboy@ladmo:~$ xmodmap -pm
xmodmap: up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        sterling (0x85),  cent (0x86),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

When I start xev and press one of the windoze keys, all that xev does is
print the character.

> xbindkeys is a little more flexible than xmodmap, and can bind a key
> or key combination to an arbitrary shell command.
>
> KDE and GNOME should have a "keyboard shortcut" utility somewhere in
> their nest of config items. It is not as flexible as xbindkeys, but
> it is probably friendlier.

Maybe I'll look into xbindkeys.

--
"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore