Re: ZaReason FX-8350 vs i7-4820k

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ZaReason FX-8350 vs i7-4820k
Am 22. Oct, 2013 schwätzte Bryan O'Neal so:

moin moin,

> Interesting - I would guess that is due to how Intel mimics UMA on
> what is basically a NUMA platform. If your application is multi
> threaded and those threads share one large memory space and the
> application does not keep NUMA in mind intel will have you paging in
> and out of the cores allocation - if enough ram is use perhaps even
> forcing to swap to achieve this. BUT on the other hand it does offer
> the flexibility that true NUMA does not. I would love to see a head
> to head when 1 app uses ~95% of the ram and has more then 2xCore
> threads.

If I have time, I'll open /dev/sda in emacs :). Dunno if vim can
multi-thread well enough for that type of test.

The goal is to not max out RAM or anything else for a couple of years for
this box.

In my case, the worst I'll have is a private MySQL database where the
entire contents of of the database wouldn't fill up a single stick of RAM.

I will have other things running as well, but all comparatively
lightweight compared to something that could keep two cores and 95% of the
RAM busy.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Stephen <> wrote:
>> So far the AMD solution is 8 cores not 4. and AMd seems to be doing better
>> in Ram performance heavy applications. other than that the Intel is doing
>> better.
>>
>> that being said I have been getting a great experience from my hex core
>> 1090T and the price difference seems to be well worth it.
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM, der.hans <> wrote:
>>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> need to get a new desktop. But, since it's me, it'll have external storage
>>> and other things that are abnormal today :).
>>>
>>> Currently comparing two boxen with 4 core, 8 thread CPUs. One is the AMD
>>> FX-8350, the other is the intel i7-4820k. Any opinions on how they
>>> compare?
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
>>> #  Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them
>>> on
>>> #  your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them
>>> on
>>> #  a web site, and you must change them very often. -- Unknown

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw