Re: Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

+ (text/html)
Author: Paul Mooring
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(
I'm not really much of an office suite user, but my experience and the
feedback I've heard has always been yes it is bad compared to MS Office. I
think Libre/Open office covers 90% of use cases and is more than capable of
handling what most users need, however it's interface isn't nearly as good,
it lacks the vbscript macros the rest of the world uses, it's
charting/graphs don't look as nice and formatting comes out mangled when
excel users open it (or when you open an xlsx). Microsoft has invested a
lot of time, money and energy into getting Excel just right and it really
is a great (if not their best) product. The heavy excel users I know that
don't run Windows keep a Win7 VM around for Office/Excel use.

As a side note I think one thing that the Linux/FLOSS community is very bad
at is learning from what others get right. You might not like Microsoft
but to claim their popularity was in no way due to making some good
products is disingenuous at best. If people genuinely care about
increasing Linux desktop usage (which is not of any particular interest to
me personally) the right questions to ask are about what MS and Apple get
right rather than what they get wrong.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM, <> wrote:

> So I talked my brother into ditching Micro$haft and moving to Linux.
> Baaaad idea...
> The man uses Excel *HEAVILY*, and LibreOffice just could not keep up.
> But it was not lack of features or limitations, it was *STUPID* (but
> dangerous) things like cells not showing the real value and/or
> recalculating wrong.
> I didn't take his word for it, he showed me the (unbelievable) problems (I
> could not believe what I was seeing).
> The guy is back to Excel...
> What am I missing?
> ET