Re: Yarnell fire and new computer

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Yarnell fire and new computer
Chromebooks are a Linux installation that is "geared" to run the chrome
browser. It does have some local storage, and will access usb devices but
it is really intended to be used in conjunction with an always online style
of connection. However if you can provide this it is a great device and
with some experimenting will work well. However your idea of laptops is a
solid one and can serve you well. But i really suggest you experiment with
them as much as possible and see what you like. You can even find vendors
that will ship them with Linux installed (system76.com being an example). I
would not Decide on a Chromebook until you have had a chance to handle one.
and decide if its an experience that you want.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Betty I <> wrote:

> Hi all;
> (I used to be the lady that was 'nice penguin @ webcanine dot com' but had
> to change my email so now I have this one.)
> We lost our house in Yarnell to the fire last weekend and are staying in
> Phoenix. But you guys have always been good for information on computer
> stuff in general, so i thought i'd ask here first.
>
> We have good insurance, and it is going to cover replacement cost for our
> computers up there. They were old, pentium III's that i had put ubuntu on
> and were great desktops. but i am thinking that since we don't do a lot of
> computer intense work up there, just surf online and read emails, that
> maybe it would be better to just get laptops. Then i was thinking maybe of
> getting a chromebook instead of a 'regular' laptop; but my son said that
> those are all 'cloud ' based.
>
> But does that mean that they have no functionality if we're not online?
>
> What do you guys think?
> I have time, since it's going to take about 4 months to get a new
> manufactured home up there :(
>
> also, OT, i did just finish an html class and made my final project a few
> webpages with photos of the place and the fire stuff. of course, we haven't
> been allowed back up there but we're hoping for early this week.
>
> http://ipmarizona.com/eclass/before.html
>
> well, thanks for any ideas.
> betty i
>
> --