Re: ot: measure dsl with the multimeter

Author: Ryan Rix
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ot: measure dsl with the multimeter
To test with a multimeter whether the DSL is working or not:

* Unscrew case for DSL modem such that the board is visible
* Set multimeter to read DC voltage
* On the front of the modem will be a small LED which lights up depending on
the connection quality of the DSL modem
* Attach one lead to each of the LED's two contacts

If there is a voltage measured by the multimeter, then congratulations, the
DSL is working! If not, you will need to contact your service provider for
more help.

I have successfully used this method to test my wireless router in the past,
it works wonders when you're trying to debug these things. See the image I
have attached for the method I personally use:
http://wstaw.org/m/2013/07/03/disassembled.jpg

Warning: Do not short anything across the board with your multimeter leads as
that may lead to damage to modem, multimeter, cables, cat or personal death,
dismemberment or incontinence.

--
Ryan Rix