Re: mail from root

Author: Robert Holtzman
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: mail from root
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 07:17:04AM -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Test your mail on the server via command line:
>
> sudo sendmail -d

As root: sendmail -d test

This returned a bunch of configuration info followed by

--> MAIL FROM:<>
<-- 250 2.1.0 <> sender ok
--> RCPT TO:<>
<-- 250 2.1.5 <> recipient ok
--> RCPT TO:<test>
<-- 550 5.5.0 <test> invalid address

It didn't like "test" no matter where in the command string I put it.

> enter some text.
> hit ". ."
> Use your terminal up/down keys to see if the mail was delivered. Check
> your mail. Did you get it?

Nope

> Check your installation:
>
> command rkhunter --configfile /etc/rkhunter.conf --report-warnings-only
> --checkall

You must have a later version of rkhunter. In mine, checkall must be
replaced by --check

It returns the same thing it always has when I run it manually.

> Update the checksums database :command rkhunter --propupdate
>
> Update the threats database (the update is done weekly afterwards) :
>
> command rkhunter --update

Not meaning to be argumentative but the above 2 commands don't appear to
have anything to do with mail notifications. If I'm wrong, please
correct me.

> The command below is run daily. Its results are send by e-mail to the root
> user if a problem appear. Run it once to check that everything is setted up
> right :
>
> command rkhunter --configfile /etc/rkhunter.conf --report-warnings-only
> --checkall

Just did that. Still no joy.

My apologies for being so late but I have to squeeze time in to work on this.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,