Re: What is the most efficient way to convert a .wmv video?

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What is the most efficient way to convert a .wmv video?
On 04/07/2013 12:24 PM, wrote:
> But I am curious why handbrake assigned the suffix ".m4v"
> instead of .mp4 (or .mpeg)?

The handbrake people seem to prefer the m4v extension over the mp4
extension. There is an option in the preferences to make it prefer mp4
over m4v. I have to set this option myself as MythTV doesn't like the
m4v extension... at least it didn't used to. There is a bug in some of
the older versions that caused that option to be ignored.

As for the mpg or mpeg extension, that usually refers to the older mpeg1
video with mp2 audio and is actually a different container format from
mpeg4.

You may also want to explore using the mkv container format. It's a
very good container and widely supported and technically the same
container as Google uses for it's VP8 video format.

Brian Cluff