OT Grace Murray Hopper

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: OT Grace Murray Hopper

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/09/iwd_grace_hopper/

      One time, I'm not sure of the date--probably in the 70s or early
      80s, I had the opportunity to hear a talk/lecture/presentation by
      Grace Murray Hopper. I've never forgotten it. She was one of a
      kind.

      Among other things, she was instrumental in the development of
      Cobol. Most programmers today sneer at it, but as the article
      says:

"COBOL was one of the most successful computer languages
      and is still in use today.
Research

        by Datamonitor
found that in 2008 there were between 1.5 and
      2 million developers still working with the 50-year-old
      programming language, adding five billion lines of code to the 200
      billion already running on live systems."

    BTW, I'm not now and never was a COBOL programmer (FORTRAN, another
    sneer-able language, was my bag.)

    Mark Jarvis

    (ancient geek)