Re: Watching DVD's on Linux is ILLEGAL in the USA?

+ (text/html)
Author: Derek Trotter
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Watching DVD's on Linux is ILLEGAL in the USA?
I have no doubt that the control freaks who run the government and their
cronies in business would argue that using software they don't approve
of to watch a dvd you bought is illegal.

On 03/02/2013 05:41 PM, Richard Daggett wrote:
> VLC uses libdvdcss and libdvdcss does not use DeCSS (legal version of
> dvd encryption). I am not saying its right or wrong, just pulling
> information out of the article.
>

>       libdvdcss

> Modern Linux machines don’t use DeCSS. However, through examining the
> DeCSS code, people realized that CSS was vulnerable to a brute-force
> attack. CSS uses 40-bit encryption and doesn’t use every possible
> key, so it’s an extremely weak type of encryption. A modern computer
> can crack a DVD’s CSS encryption through brute force – that is, by
> trying every possible key and seeing which one works – in just a few
> seconds.
>
> This is what libdvdcss does. With libdvdcss installed on Linux, after
> you insert a DVD into your computer’s DVD drive, your computer will
> brute-force its encryption in a few seconds. It may look like the DVD
> is just opening in VLC, but your computer is cracking the encryption
> key in the background to make it viewable.
>
> If you don’t have libdvdcss or DeCSS installed, DVDs won’t play back
> at all.
>

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Eric Oyen <
> <mailto:eric.oyen@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I find this rather interesting as I haven't had to install any
>     cracking software to view DVD's on linux. VLC can play any
>     commercially available DVD without having to install DVDCSS or any
>     ripping software. It also happens to be one of the few apps in
>     linux that has labeled controls that work with ORCA (the screen
>     reader for the blind).

>     IMHO, anyone that states (as a matter of law) that viewing movies
>     in linux is illegal should refer to the fair use portions of US
>     Copyright law. I maintain that I have the right to view my
>     purchased DVD's with whatever technology that allows me to do so.
>     Simply labeling us as criminals because we use a non-supported OS
>     to play our media just isn't justifiable. It also violates
>     constitutional law (we are innocent until proven guilty in a court
>     of law).

>     Big content needs to get with the program. We are out here and we
>     are not going away. Instead of trying to criminalize s, they
>     should be marketing to us. it will make them more money and allow
>     us to enjoy what we want.

>     -eric

>     On Mar 2, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Richard Daggett wrote:

>>     I would say its illegal to watch dvd's on a illegal copy of the
>>     player (using libdvdcss).  You can purchase legal dvd players for
>>     linux

>>           Actually, Linux Has a Few Licensed DVD Players

>>     It was once true that Linux users had to become criminals to
>>     watch commercial video DVDs (at least in the USA). However, there
>>     are now licensed DVD players available for Linux.

>>     For example, Ubuntu’s Software Center offers the licensed Fluendo
>>     DVD Player
>>     <https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/fluendo-dvd/>. This DVD
> [...]

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore