Re: Slackware vs the others

Author: Derek Trotter
To: michael, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Slackware vs the others
On 01/07/2013 09:04 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> Any of the 8xxx and 9xxx cards from nvidia were iffy, mine was a 9600,
> and I had an 8400 too that used to be spotty. I'd got to a 240gt and
> didn't have a problem again (until the mobo died).

Thanks. Now I know what video cards not to buy.
> Oddly I have less driver issues with linux than I did with windows -
> it either works or never will. If the hardware is exotic/abnormal,
> than yeah good luck with it. Otherwise most odd bits like usb
> ethernet, serial, and other random devices usually probe and load a
> driver automagically. I deal with routers/switches mostly, so usb
> serial hardware is common and usually a trick with windows to find
> drivers for them. I've never had a random off-brand serial usb
> adapter NOT work under linux when windows guys get all depressed to
> spend an hour hunting them down. I've had to lsusb the device it to
> tell them what they had. :)

This is news to me. I always thought companies that released new
hardware sold it with windows drivers first then linux drivers if they
got around to it.

> One note I found recently if upgrading, intel z77 motherboards suck
> for linux, any/all of them. The gpu switching "lucid" chip every one
> uses has crap support under linux. I couldn't even use my ati6950
> card in it as even windoze implements all kinds of driver hacks for
> it. Forums are full of complaints. I had to go back to using my
> defective p67 board, and might go back to amd all together as it all
> rather irked me.
>
> -mb

Issues such as these you mention are why I'll do my research before
buying anything else for a computer. I even had trouble with a usb
wifi device. It came with windows drivers, but there isn't one for
linux. I found something that let me use the xp driver, but I had
problems with it. I don't really need it anymore so that's not really
an issue.

Thanks
Derek

--
"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore