Re: Hard Drive

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Hard Drive
From: Eric Shubert
> On 12/04/2012 01:22 AM, Eric Allen wrote:
>> I can't get my hard drive to spin down, it runs continuously
> kjournald daemon writes pretty frequently to the disk. Perhaps that's
> what's keeping your drive active. I've no idea how to tune that though
> to write less frequently.

Which filesystem? If these things are ext3, then one thing that might help is
to fiddle with the commit= option. The default for ext3 is 5 seconds, so if
you're mounting it with the defaults, all the filesystems will commit their
metadata every 5 seconds. This leads to more disk I/O than is usually
necessary. commit=600 (10 minutes) would probably work reasonably well.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/