Re: Question about linux and AMD based chipsets/onboard raid

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Question about linux and AMD based chipsets/onboard raid
You said you were installing ubuntu to the independent drive (and one of
the messages indicates sdb), but where is it putting GRUB? You may need to
use the advanced option to place GRUB on that same drive. Sorry, I don't
know what screen the option is on during install but it used to be in the
lower right corner. Seems like it would be on the screen where you accept
all the changes before actually proceeding with the install.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Stephen <> wrote:

> I have an AMD based chiset and i am trying to get ubuntu to boot right
> now and it is stalling, and i am having trouble ironing out what is
> going on.
>
> I have onbaord raid drives attached to the onboard raid chipset
> (SB710) however i am not intending to install to those drives the
> drive i wish to install to is actually a SATA connected single drive
> but i am having the worst time getting Ubuntu 12.04 to even finish its
> boot cycle. and im not getting allot of feedback.
>
> The errors i am getting are ata_id[336]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for
> '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
> - this is with all Raid disks disconnected and raid turned off in
> bios. just a single SATA HDD
>
> I get one of the two following errors if i have raid disks attached
>
> A similar entry as above comes up or i get
> udevd[167] inotify_add_watch(6, /dev/dm-1, 10) failed: No Such file or
> directory
>
> the most promising option i have so far is booting with nodmraid but
> it seems to just hang and go no place after detecting my CDrom devices
>
> This is rather perplexing overall.
>
> Ideally i would like my 2 onboard raids to be connected running
> windows and then let linux run amok on my extra sata hdd but it either
> is really pissed off in a way i cannot figure out or it really does
> not like that port.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?
> --
>
> Stephen

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.