Re: O.T. Hostgator Registrar

Author: der.hans
To: michael, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: O.T. Hostgator Registrar
Am 05. Oct, 2012 schwätzte Michael Butash so:

> I've looked at going outside gd for years, but most providers do tend to
> nickle and dime everyone to death. I've wanted to just get dedicated hosts,
> but hard to justify $200/mo per box to *play* with. Virtual just isn't that
> attractive as at the end of the day, there is resource contention going to
> occur to give me any level of warm fuzzies. I'd probably be the bastard too
> that kills the box.

I haven't tried to rent a full machine for personal use, but I have some
experience with a couple of providers.

Deru is here in town and hosts PLUG's servers. We're quite happy with
Deru's services. Darrin was reselling a cabinet at Deru years ago. Dunno
if he's still doing that. He did drop off the list, so I might have to
give you contact info if you're interested in following up with him.

DreamHost has been a great provider. I created a hosting account with
them years ago for a client business and have continued using them
for a variety of things including hosting ABLEconf's site and mailing
lists. Ceph is coming from one of the guys behind DreamHost as well, which
is cool. I think DreamHost is primarily running debian. DreamHost uses
cPanel for hosting stuff.

I worked with www.m5hosting.com at a previous job. As the home page show,
they support a lot of FLOSS operating systems. We were hosting more than a
few dozen boxen with m5. m5 has two datacenters in the San Diego area, but
has them networked as a single datacenter. That means you can potentially
have a server and its failover on the same local network, yet 10 miles
apart. Both datacenters have a variety of connections, so can operate
independently.

Lots of other datacenters in town, such as PhoenixNAP and OneNeck.

If you mostly want failover, you could also do a mutual failover agreement
with someone else.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "It is appallingly obvious that our technology exceeds our humanity."
#   -- Einstein