Minimum ram for kubuntu?

Author: joe@actionline.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Minimum ram for kubuntu?
What is the minimum ram required for kubuntu?

Some online sources say it should run okay with 512-meg of ram.

I'm trying to set up an old Dell for a friend and since I can't seem to
get win-xp wireless to work, thought I'd try kubuntu. The unit has only
512-meg of ram and when I tried a live kubuntu CD, it worked okay, albeit
slow. So I installed it on half the HD as a dual-boot and it runs, but
very slow and it hangs up. Is there some way to salvage this old box?