Re: making PDFs workable

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: making PDFs workable

    The Foxitpro PDF reader allows text to be marked and copied.
    Unfortunately, it's only available for Windows. I don't know if
    there's a Linux PDF reader that has that capability.

    -mj-

Michael Havens wrote:

HOw can I make it so I can copy-n-paste the text from
      a pdf into a oo document?

      :-)~MIKE~(-:

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Sam
        Kreimeyer
<>
        wrote:

          Here's a pdf of a quick guide to regular expressions

http://www.addedbytes.com/download/regular-expressions-cheat-sheet-v1/pdf/

          Basically, it's a format for defining search patterns that
          supports special meanings for certain characters. For
          instance:

          a - finds any string like "a"

          a. - finds any string like "a" plus any other character except
          a new line (matches "aa", "ab", "ac", etc)

          a.* - finds any string like "a" plus zero or more characters
          except a new line (matches "aa", "abcdefghijk")

          Other special characters can further modify this behavior.

          So here's an explanation of the earlier command.

          's/\.JPG$/.jpg/' *.JPG

          Basic search and replace format s/[string we search
          for]/[string to replace matches with]/

          "\.JPG$" - Because "." is special, we escape it with "\" to
          keep the regex from interpreting it, so the "." will be
          treated literally. "JPG" is what we're looking for. Placing a
          "$" at the end of the string tells the regex to match the
          string only at the end of the strings you're searching. This
          means that you will match "example.JPG" but not "JPG.example".

          ".jpg" - This is our replacement string. This is what goes in
          the place of every match we find.

          "*.JPG" - while this isn't part of the regex, "*" is a
          wildcard (can be substituted for any number of characters).

          Hope that helps!