Re: Regarding advanced "whois" searches, question re-phrased…

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Regarding advanced "whois" searches, question re-phrased...
What you want is to run a sql query against registrar databases, or api
access to a game of questions against a whois server for possible
domains from a dictionary. The former (i think/hope) isn't going to
happen unless you work for one, and the later costs money as your
queries equal hits against a db somewhere to query unique domain names,
parsing for unique data. There may be pay services, but I would again
hope not.

If you were fbi you could tell every registrar to give you results of
simply every record they have in csv, much like apple's leak of your
udid info, to search/macro against. But, generally one cannot do this.

I think ultimately it falls under a certain level of assumed privacy, or
at least a cat and mouse game that you can't simply say "show me
everything this person owns" via whatever api/protocol. If it's that
nefarious of content, sounds like best to simply hand over to law
enforcement. Unless of course it's more under the "morally
questionable" category, that gets gray fast (could be most politicians
or religions). They can do it at an icann level if it goes high enough
(or pays the fee for api access to your info).

If they run multiple websites and you have a sampling already, likely
rather search engine aspects of their site, even at a html/css/js level,
for common content and style. Might find things they're not stupid
enough to use their names for.

-mb