Re: Strange Server Behavior

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Strange Server Behavior
My ping test is not what I expected but still shows a problem.

I setup the test to ping (64 bytes, ttl =64) the problem server every 10
seconds from my laptop. Both are plugged in, on the same subnet. The boxes
are about 5 feet apart. Here are the results:

3434 packets transmitted, 3307 received, 3% packet loss, time 34336321ms

I found 38 instances where the time stamps for the pings "hiccuped" and
there was a delay. Each hiccup lasted (min/avg/max) 10/44/70 seconds. The
time between hiccups was (min/avg/max) 1:20/14:29/29:00 minutes.

I grep'd the log files for messages around these 38 incidents, but did not
find any messages in any of the logs. However this is not a good test, so I
just trolled the logs and didn't find anything significant.

Do these numbers strike a chord with anyone?

I will check the caps on the MB later this week.

I looked in syslog, and could not find any correlation with the 38 hiccups.
However, what do these two cron jobs do, since the run quite frequently:
CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find
/var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -delete)

A search through the log files for "error" does not return anything
interesting.

Since apache and few other apps were running on the server, I will run the
ping test again tonight after I kill everything on the server.

Thanks!

Mark

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Carruth, Rusty <