Re: Need Help setting up a VPN Connection to my LAN

Author: Eric Shubert
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need Help setting up a VPN Connection to my LAN
What's running on your laptop?

With the Shrew Soft VPN client (ike and ide-gtgui on ubuntu) packages,
you *might* get an IPSec connection going, but NAT on your laptop/remote
end will likely trip things up. I would recommend steering clear of IPSec.

OpenVPN is the VPN of choice for road warriors. On the home/server end,
I use IPCop. It's a full featured firewall distro that contains OpenVPN
(and IPSec) as well as a slew of other features. It will run nicely on
an old P-III system, with as little as 128M of RAM and a 1G HDD. Find an
old desktop system that's going to be scrapped, throw a 2nd nic in it,
and you're ready to roll. You'll need a switch behind it for your
LAN/Green subnet, but those are dirt cheap as well.

--
-Eric 'shubes'